Monday, February 23, 2009

Jesus Loves You, But I'll... C-U-Next-Tuesday


Here is a pretty quote for the day: "Remember you are dust and to dust you shall return"

It has a sense of mystery and beauty to it, doesn't it? You'll never guess where I found it. Two Catholic girls approached me today and asked if I would like to join them for mass on Weds. I thought about telling them how I was raised in the Greek Orthodox church, and how I no longer identify myself with any one religion. I of course, didn't want the preachings, so I just politely took the flyer, and giggled about it later on.


I could sit here and bash Christians all day long, but that just isn't fair. I've come across some ridiculously hypocritical ones here at ISU. I've been told that I treat people with more kindness and respect than 'Christians' that they know. I used to love going to church, until I found out some nasty little information. I think the Greek Orthodox faith has the potential to be very beautiful. The last time I was in a church was for my great uncle's funeral, and it was aesthetically pleasing. I looked up, and there, as large as one's eye could behold was the face of Jesus, and maybe because of the incense, or the sniffling around me, I too, began to tear up. I don't know why though. Everytime I enter a Greek Orthodox church and stare up at the ceiling, I have the urge to cry. I think it's because I left that part of myself a long time ago, and I have no desire to pick it up again. Is it guilt because if I don't go to church I must be a bad person, and my eternal life is doomed to the fiery pits of hell? Is that why I want to cry? Or, is it because I wish Christianity was different. I wish it was open, and understanding, with less pressure to be something that some people just aren't.

I am not a perfect person. In fact, most of the time, I am a downright awful person. I enjoy making fun of people that I don't like, and I talk alot of shit. I admit to it though. There are some thoughts that I probably shouldn't have, and just the fact that they exist, must speak volumes of who I am as a person right? Maybe. We are all entitled to believe what we want to believe.. and that is a great thing. So, why do Christians pressure others to follow their teachings? Why can't people do what they want? Yes, Jesus was a prophet and he did go around preaching the word of his Father, but, Jesus was a man. I think people forget that. He was made of flesh and bone too. I bet he even had SEX!!!! OH MAN!!! Can you imagine that? "Who did you sleep with last, night?" "Our Lord and Savior... Jesus Christ!" Wow, that would be pretty trippy huh? ;)

I like thinking of Jesus as a person. I was talking to a friend awhile back, and she said Jesus was the 'hippie of his day'. A free thinker just living the almost good life.. until it was tragically taken at 33.

I guess I think we should all just COEXIST. I see so many similarities between religion, I don't get why we fight and kill each other over it.

So, until the human race wakes the fuck up. Jesus Loves You, But I think You're a Cunt.

Sometimes, anyway. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment